Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Maribyrnong, Australia
Digital Photograph - Girl Dressed for First Communion with Mother, Midway Migrant Hostel, Maribyrnong, 1950 Reg. No: MM 110745
- Black and white photograph showing Irene Jerzyk preparing for her First Communion at Midway Migrant Hostel in Maribyrnong in 1950, with her mother Janina. The Jerzyk family immigrated to Australia as part of the Displaced Persons Scheme from Poland. They were Polish Catholics.
- Digital image file. A digital photograph was taken of the original black and white print.
- Description Of Content:
- Girl dressed for First Communion, in white dress and veil with her mother. She is holding a candle, a picture and a draw-string purse. Her mother is wearing a dress and a long coat. They are standing in front of a palm tree.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Ms Karen Micallef, 2006
- Contributed by Ms Karen Micallef
|Tagged with:||celebrations, families, immigration, religions christianity, rituals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Melbourne's Biggest Family Album Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Accommodation - Hostels|
|Tertiary Classification:||family portraits|
|People Depicted:||Jerzyk, Irene; Jerzyk, Janina|
|Organisations Depicted:||Maribyrnong Migrant Hostel|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Black & White; Tiff|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Maribyrnong, Victoria, Australia, 1950
Source of Date Depicted: Based on the age of the girl in this photograph who was born in 1941.