Search the collections
Dish - Adolph Bruhn & Son, Wooden, circa 1970-1990 Reg. No: SH 912012
- Wooden dish made by Adolph Bruhn & Son, circa 1970 - 1990. It was taken from Area A at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- Large, shallow dish made from a pale golden coloured wood. Fairly plain, simple appearance. Decoration consists of two grooves encircling the rim of the dish. Writing on base of item. Appears to have been made from two separate pieces of wood as indicated by join present along one side of dish. Hole bored into centre of dish base.
|Dimensions:||1.50 cm (Height), 35.70 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry, handcrafts, domestic equipment|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Inscribed base, lead pencil: 2 off 18/Mrs Deam/ /587060/.|
|Maker:||Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970-1990|
|Maker:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970-1990|